Friday, October 8, 2010

Knit QR Code Potholder Pattern



So far I have found only two websites that have finished a knit QR code. Both used very fine yarn and several stitches per pixel. I found a hand knit QR code here. The other one was embedded in a scarf and was made with a computerized knitting machine here. Both have more square-looking pixels than my pattern. My pixels make more of a "V" shape because each pixel is only one stitch. Even so, it reads just fine. I intentionally did not put that much data in this code because I wanted to be sure it would work before making anything bigger.

I downloaded some software both to create and read QR codes on my computer. It is freeware and can be downloaded here.

Once you've created the desired QR code, you can print out the picture and number the columns and rows to make following the pattern easier.

The number of pixels across the pattern is will determine how big the pot holder/knit pattern will be. My code was 25 pixels across and I made a 5 stitch border all around, so I started by casting on 35 stitches in white. Remember the white border is important for the code to be read properly.

After cast on, alternate knitting and purling each row until you've worked 8 rows. Now the white border is done.

The next row should be a knit row. Knit 5 stitches in white and then start the first row of the QR code from left to right. Knit 5 more stitches to reach the end of the row.

The next row should be a purl row. Purl 5 stitches and then the second row of the QR code from RIGHT TO LEFT. Purl 5 more stitches to reach the end of the row.

Continue this procedure until the whole QR code is knit. Knit and purl 8 more rows in white to finish the white border. The black outline was done by knitting on a three stitch I-cord. Directions on how to do this are found here.

I did color changes by running the old color along the back of the work until it was used again. This means the back of the work looks like this:



There is a way to double knit so that two layers of fabric are made and all the tails are in the middle and out of sight. I have yet to try this technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment